From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ever since a recent update, vim misbehaves when run as root
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 04:00:16
1 On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 01:35:46PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote
2 > I'm not exactly sure when, but starting a month or so ago, vim has been
3 > acting weird when
4 > I run it as root. For one thing, there are messages
5 > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
6
7 General rule... by default X apps cannot be run by any user other than
8 the one who started the X session. This bites you when you launch X as
9 regular user, and then "su -". Is vim considered an X app? Yes, if
10 you've emerged vim with the X USE flag enabled. You have two options.
11
12 1) Get rid of the X-integration by going into /etc/portage/package.use
13 and adding the line...
14
15 app-editors/vim -X
16
17 You'll have to re-emerge vim after making that change. This gets rid
18 of X-integration for vim.
19
20 2) If you really really need the X-integration features, you can use the
21 "xhost" command to enable all users on your machine to run X apps on
22 your X session. E.g. my machine is 192.168.123.249 so I ran...
23
24 xhost +192.168.123.249
25
26 ...to allow a 32-bit QEMU-KVM guest to run an X program on the 64-bit
27 host's Xwindows session.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>