From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Firefox-38.1.0 headers, or is Google getting smarter?
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 07:58:35
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 01 Aug 2015 05:08:04 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am 31.07.2015 um 11:31 schrieb Mick:
4 >>> I used Firefox to login to Gmail and suddenly received a message from
5 >>> Google, advising me:
6 >>>
7 >>> "New sign-in from Firefox on Linux
8 >>>
9 >>> Hi Michael,Your Google Account xxxxx was just used to sign in from
10 >>> Firefox on Linux."
11 >>>
12 >>> Have you noticed something similar and should we be changing anything on
13 >>> the new FF configuration, or is this Gmail getting smarter?
14 >>
15 >> seriously? Have you never heard that browsers send tons of data to the
16 >> server? Like browser version, OS, language... ?
17 >>
18 >> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) KHTML/4.14.10 (like Gecko) Konqueror/4.14
19 >>
20 >> that is, for example what MY konqueror setup currently sends.
21 >
22 > Thanks Volker, I know that browsers send agent data to the server, but
23 I had
24 > never received such an email from Gmail before. Most that had
25 happened in the
26 > past is to receive an email to confirm I am the real owner of the
27 account when
28 > I tried to connect using IMAP4 while overseas. So this tells me that
29 Google
30 > are also logging the IP addresses I am connecting from and check my
31 geographic
32 > location for <aheam!> security purposes.
36 Facebook does this too. I was testing tor once and it had me showing as
37 coming from Africa somewhere. Anyway, it wouldn't let me in even with
38 my password. After I disabled tor so that it would show my real
39 location, I had a warning that someone had tried to login from a foreign
40 country. It wanted me to change my password etc etc etc.
41
42 Google isn't the only one that does this. I suspect that most all sites
43 do this to some extent. After all, how can you visit a website and it
44 not know your IP address and such? It has to know where to send your
45 requests too. ;-)
46
47 Dale
48