From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Firefox-38.1.0 headers, or is Google getting smarter?
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 07:28:09
1 On Saturday 01 Aug 2015 05:08:04 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 31.07.2015 um 11:31 schrieb Mick:
3 > > I used Firefox to login to Gmail and suddenly received a message from
4 > > Google, advising me:
5 > >
6 > > "New sign-in from Firefox on Linux
7 > >
8 > > Hi Michael,Your Google Account xxxxx was just used to sign in from
9 > > Firefox on Linux."
10 > >
11 > > Have you noticed something similar and should we be changing anything on
12 > > the new FF configuration, or is this Gmail getting smarter?
13 >
14 > seriously? Have you never heard that browsers send tons of data to the
15 > server? Like browser version, OS, language... ?
16 >
17 > Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) KHTML/4.14.10 (like Gecko) Konqueror/4.14
18 >
19 > that is, for example what MY konqueror setup currently sends.
20
21 Thanks Volker, I know that browsers send agent data to the server, but I had
22 never received such an email from Gmail before. Most that had happened in the
23 past is to receive an email to confirm I am the real owner of the account when
24 I tried to connect using IMAP4 while overseas. So this tells me that Google
25 are also logging the IP addresses I am connecting from and check my geographic
26 location for <aheam!> security purposes.
29 Regards,
30 Mick