From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: AMD lappy
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 23:53:41
1 On 2018-11-17, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 17 November 2018 23:00:22 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2018-11-17, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> > Actually and AMD Arm (64bit) Ryzen or newer.
6 >>
7 >> No, Ryzen is not an Arm processor.
8
9 > Well, ... the PSP spy-in-the-die is an ARM core running within the
10 > main AMD x86 CPU and you can't switch it off, or remove it.
11
12 Right. Unless AMD has screwed up royally, the ARM
13 security-processor-thingy is pretty much invisible to the end-user.
14
15 > However, I'm sure this is not the kind of ARM James' been looking
16 > for.
17
18 I assumed not.
19
20 I'd love to have an Arm based laptop, but getting full-up Linux
21 running reliably on a Chromebook is just a bit over my hassle budget.
22 I also want it to have a 16" 4:3 150dpi display, an RJ45 Ethernet
23 connector, and a real DB9 serial port. I'll pass on the built in POTS
24 modem...
27 Grant