From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: AMD lappy
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 01:14:24
1 On 11/17/18 6:51 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2018-11-17, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Saturday, 17 November 2018 23:00:22 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> On 2018-11-17, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Actually and AMD Arm (64bit) Ryzen or newer.
7 >>>
8 >>> No, Ryzen is not an Arm processor.
9 >
10 >> Well, ... the PSP spy-in-the-die is an ARM core running within the
11 >> main AMD x86 CPU and you can't switch it off, or remove it.
12 >
13 > Right. Unless AMD has screwed up royally, the ARM
14 > security-processor-thingy is pretty much invisible to the end-user.
15 >
16 >> However, I'm sure this is not the kind of ARM James' been looking
17 >> for.
18 >
19 > I assumed not.
20 >
21 > I'd love to have an Arm based laptop, but getting full-up Linux
22 > running reliably on a Chromebook is just a bit over my hassle budget.
23 > I also want it to have a 16" 4:3 150dpi display, an RJ45 Ethernet
24 > connector, and a real DB9 serial port. I'll pass on the built in POTS
25 > modem...
29 I had not realized that AMD has completely given up on Arm Systems.
30 Been off_grid a bit too much and working way to hard, for an old
31 eclectic.....
32
33 I'm looking for an arm64 system, with enough native power to compile 64
34 bit arm codes, natively. Here is the best I've found::
35
36 SynQuacer Dev Box
37
38 [1] https://www.96boards.org/product/developerbox/
39
40 Purports to run gentoo (embedded?).
41 "�SC2A11� is a multi-core chip with 24 cores of ARM� Cortex-A53"
42
43 Not quite available (alpha) and a bit pricey at $1200.00. Like Grant I'm
44 looking for an arm 64 system that is straightforward on installing
45 gentoo, and has enough resources to perform most compiles, natively. Or
46 somebody has distcc running on four of those 4G DDR-4 boards.
47
48 Perhaps a gentoo cluster running on the latest R. PI ?
49
50 Perhaps Vapier has a hidden howto to put native gentoo on Chromebooks?
51
52 Perhaps "TomH" has some suggestions. I got one of those "hikey Armv8a"
53 boards from 2015, but cannot find his gentoo image he crafted and
54 published. I do not have time for another gentoo adventure, just want to
55 use it and sync it now and again and install ebuilds and write a few
56 ebuilds for some 64 bit arm boards.
57
58 My thoughts are to consolidate my efforts into one (arm64) arch, both on
59 the development lappy and the arm64 SBCs I have to code to and
60 maintain. Perhaps All winner? (Allwinner H6)?USB 3.0 is great for SSD
61 and offgrid applications.