From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aligning SSD partitions
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:54:12
1 On Tuesday 04 September 2012 22:00:48 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 22:31:23 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > IF PORTAGE_TMPDIR fills up - no biggy, emerge dies, that's it. But
4 > > /tmp filled up? Suddenly you will have lots of strange problems...
5 > > don't do it. Spare yourself some headaches.
6 >
7 > Good point, maybe I should have mentioned I have a 13GB /tmp.
8
9 Interesting. Also having 16GB RAM I've limited /tmp to 10GB. I wonder
10 whether 13GB would offer any advantage. Unlikely, as the only time it
11 gets used in earnest is when compiling Firefox, OO and the like. Maybe I
12 should just remove the restriction and let the kernel optimise its own
13 use of swap and tmpfs.
14
15 This box spends well over 90% of its cycles on BOINC projects, which
16 crunch large numbers of numbers but don't take up a lot of space (by
17 modern standards).
20 Rgds
21 Peter