From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aligning SSD partitions
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 03:03:01
1 120904 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 04 September 2012 22:00:48 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 22:31:23 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>> If PORTAGE_TMPDIR fills up no biggy, emerge dies, that's it.
5 >>> But /tmp filled up? Suddenly you will have lots of strange problems.
6 >>> Don't do it. Spare yourself some headaches.
7 >> Good point, maybe I should have mentioned I have a 13GB /tmp.
8
9 At the moment, after a few hours catching up with the news with FF,
10 my memory usage is :
11
12 total used free shared buffers cached
13 Mem: 3960 915 3044 0 63 408
14 -/+ buffers/cache: 443 3516
15 Swap: 3820 0 3820
16
17 Even compiling LO, it doesn't spill into swap anymore.
18 I assume having PORTAGE_TMPDIR on SSD wb noticeably faster than on HDD,
19 but how much faster still would it be to have it in memory ?
20 Memory is cheap & I could buy another 4 GB , it there were a reason.
21
22 > Also having 16GB RAM I've limited /tmp to 10GB.
23 > I wonder whether 13GB would offer any advantage.
24 > Unlikely, as the only time it gets used in earnest
25 > is when compiling Firefox, OO and the like.
26 > Maybe I should just remove the restriction
27 > and let the kernel optimise its own use of swap and tmpfs.
28 > This box spends well over 90% of its cycles on BOINC projects,
29 > which crunch large numbers of numbers but don't take up a lot of space.
30
31 What is the best line for /etc/fstab ? The only example I have is :
32
33 'tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0'
34
35 This doesn't seem to limit the size in any way.
39 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
40 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
41 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca