From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: using unstable gentoo-sources
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 05:02:27
1 »Q« wrote:
2 > On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 00:59:16 -0600
3 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> »Q« wrote:
6 >>> I've never used any unstable build for the kernel, and once a>=3.2.1
7 >>> kernel goes stable, I'll stick with stable again. But in the
8 >>> meantime, is there anything I should watch out for or keep in mind?
9 >> I have used unstable kernels lots of times. If everything works,
10 >> then it works. If you upgrade and something isn't working or is
11 >> fishy, then go back to the stable one. This is why I keep a known
12 >> working kernel and a newer version in /boot at all times. I always
13 >> have two versions and at times have as many as a dozen.
14 >>
15 >> Oh, have entries in grub for both too.
16 >>
17 >> That help any?
18 > Yep, thanks. If you can do it I can do it, I hope. :)
24 Just check the logs after you boot a new kernel. If it looks like
25 something weird is going on or you see error messages, reboot to the
26 older kernel and see if it still does it. If it doesn't, wait for a
27 couple versions before trying again. Naturally if something isn't
28 working, go back and try again later. I always use make oldconfig. I
29 have had it fail only when there are major changes to the kernel. If
30 something is broken and you have the time, try to figure out if it is a
31 config issue or a kernel issue. Report it if you can.
32
33 Oh, crossing your fingers helps sometimes too. ;-) I need a rabbits
34 foot.
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
42
43 Miss the compile output? Hint:
44 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"