From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Force Firefox to use gecko-mediaplayer for webm
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:30:49
1 On Jul 22, 2012 8:24 AM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 22/07/12 08:11, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
4 >>
5 >> So yeah, the question is clear.
6 >> How do I force Firefox to play webm videos using gecko-mediaplayer?
7 >> Compile firefox without webm support?
8 >>
9 >> Or there's some other way around?
12 > You misunderstand the job GM is doing. It's a video player for embedded
13 video objects and its plugin registers itself as such. If the embedded
14 video is WebM, GM will play it. If it's HTML5 video (both WebH and H.264),
15 then it will not, and Firefox will play it directly.
16 >
17 > So your question should rather be: How do I force Firefox to play HTML5
18 videos using gecko-mediaplayer? :-) (I don't know the answer. I suspect
19 it is not possible, since the whole point of HTML5 video is to have the
20 browser play the video.)
23 Actually it seems just going to the .webm file in firefox will
24 automatically render as an HTML5 video, even though the mimetype is
25 video/webm. Firefox doesn't do this for other videos, as near as I can
26 tell -- I only tried it with a .mp4, and it played using
27 gecko-mediaplayer. I tested both of these files with "file://". So I
28 think the issue isn't HTML5 at all, but firefox deciding what to do with
29 "video/webm" files, but it's possible I don't understand exactly what
30 firefox does. I admittedly don't know much about the internals of firefox
31 nor html.
32
33 I would agree the simple workaround would be to compile without webm
34 support but it almost seems like a bug in firefox (or perhaps an intended
35 feature).
36
37 Alecks Gates, sent from Android on an HTC G2