From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ethernet dont use kernel module
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 09:16:52
1 On Mar 9, 2014, at 10:43, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 2:38 AM, Facundo Curti <facu.curti@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> 2014-03-09 5:28 GMT-03:00 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Facundo Curti <facu.curti@×××××.com>
7 >>> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>> [snip]
10 >>>
11 >>> First of all, you should not need to run any script. udev should
12 >>> handle everything by itself.
13 >>>
14 >>>> http://bpaste.net/show/186711/
15 >>>
16 >>> Second of all:
17 >>>
18 >>> could not open /proc/modules: No such file or directory
19 >>>
20 >>> How is that even possible? In the first .config you posted, you had
21 >>> CONFIG_MODULES unset, but I'm assuming you changed CONFIG_R8169 to 'm'
22 >>> by running make menuconfig and going into the correct option, and that
23 >>> you don't just edited your .config file. Right?
24 >>>
25 >>> Because if you edited your .config by hand, that *CANNOT* result in
26 >>> anything good, unless you know precisely what are you doing, and even
27 >>> then most people would not recommend it.
28 >>>
29 >> Yes, of course :) I used make menuconfig, and i put modules ON.
30 >>
31 >>> It looks like you don't have kernel module support. Is that so?
32
33 I suggest you to try r8168 module. The realtek RTL8111/8168 chip is buggy. The in-kernel module r8169 failed to work with the chip. When i used r8169 and booted to windows or the other way around the network card was hard locked. It required a complete power out for a minute to reset the card. With r8168 module there is no problems. The code is here:
34 r8168.googlecode.com/files/r8168-8.036.00.tar.gz
35
36 I have also a nice ebuild for convenience... But you may test the card without it.
37
38 -M
42 >> I turned this on.
43 >>
44 >> Now I made an emerge --sync, and emerge --update --newuse --deep world
45 >>
46 >> And this give me an update of gentoo-sources (3.10 I had to 3.12). So I'm
47 >> going to compile the new kernel to see if it works :P
48 >>
49 >>>
50 >>> What does the following command prints:
51 >>>
52 >>> find /lib/modules -name "*r816*"
55 >> I post it in a few secs :) Please wait I will try first compiling the new
56 >> kernel.
57 >
58 > Also, remember that after you compile your kernel with modules
59 > support, you need to do "make modules_install" so the modules get
60 > installed into /lib/modules/${KERNEL_VERSION}.
61 >
62 > Regards.
63 > --
64 > Canek Peláez Valdés
65 > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
66 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
67 >