From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Having the possibility to set the system-wide locale settings
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 18:26:18
1 On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > A 'locale' is a collection of character set, language, date/time
3 > format, currency format, etc
4
5 Josh,
6
7 Thank you. I now understand what a "locale" is. It is surprising to
8 me that the string "en_US.UTF8" tells the OS about currency,
9 date/time, etc. I always thought "UTF8" was just a "character
10 encoding" (not really sure what that is either but I would not have
11 guessed that UTF8 describes where the commas go in a currency).
12
13 Thanks again,
14
15 Chris