From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Back up a server in real-time
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:15:21
1 Mark Somerville <mark@××××××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 07:45:04PM +0000, Mick wrote:
4 >> Without gentoo-wiki my knowledge level is rather poor (just like my memory!)
5 >>
6 >> What would you use to back up a running server without taking it off line?
7 >
8 > I like rdiff-backup, which gives incremental backups over rsync.
9
10 I just started playing with rdiff-backup. If you are familiar with
11 rsnapshot maybe you'll know if rdiff-backup is better in some way.
12
13 I've been using rsnapshot for quite a while but haven't had to do a
14 serious restore (knock on wood).
15
16 The small scale restores I've needed seemed to be something of a pita.
17
18 I guess you have to search the rsnapshot created hardlinks for the
19 version you want manually. At least that is what I ended up doing.
20
21 There may be better ways but rsnapshot doesn't supply any help in that
22 regard far as I know. Other than the biggest part of having created
23 the file you need that is.