From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Back up a server in real-time
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:15:17
1 Am Mittwoch 19 November 2008 18:15:01 schrieb ext Harry Putnam:
2
3 > I guess you have to search the rsnapshot created hardlinks for the
4 > version you want manually.  At least that is what I ended up doing.
5
6 Yes, that's true. But although it may be a pain to search through it, it's
7 already a good step forward to even have that capability. AFAIK no traditional
8 backup system has content search capabilities. One can usually only tell it to
9 restore a set of files as of a specific date. You have to restore first, then
10 check the content and iterate that until you finally found the version you
11 want.
12
13 Now, with those rsync based backup tools, you get a plain copy of your data
14 somewhere, so you can reverse that process. You can search through it using
15 find/grep/awk/whatever (or even use one of those desktop search engines to
16 index the whole backup like you would do for your home directory) and then
17 restore exactly the version you want.
18
19 Bye...
20
21 Dirk
22 --
23 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
24 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
25 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
26 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
27 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
28 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: wwwkeys.pgp.net