From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 15:25:22
1 > > You are only considering the case of /usr being on a plain hard disk
2 > > partition, what if it in on an LVM volume, or encrypted (or both)
3 > > of mounted over the network? All of these require something to be
4 > > run before they can be mounted, and if that cannot be run until udev
5 > > has started, we have been painted into a corner.
6 >
7 > I agree that there will always be a small number of corner-cases where
8 > an initr* is required. What annoys me, and probably a lot of other
9 > people, is the-dog-in-the-manger attitude
10 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_in_the_Manger where some people
11 > seem to say "If my weirdo, corner-case system can't boot a separate /usr
12 > without an initr* then, by-golly, I'll see to it that *NOBODY* can boot
13 > a separate /usr without an initr*"
14
15 Maybe they should swap names with eudev being for obviously functional
16 corner cases aka early udev and the current eudev becoming udev by
17 default as being most correct for most cases. Arguably all cases for a
18 well designed system.
22
23 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
24 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
25 universal interface'
26
27 (Doug McIlroy)