From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 01:29:09
1 On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 08:39:41PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
2
3 > You are only considering the case of /usr being on a plain hard disk
4 > partition, what if it in on an LVM volume, or encrypted (or both)
5 > of mounted over the network? All of these require something to be
6 > run before they can be mounted, and if that cannot be run until udev
7 > has started, we have been painted into a corner.
8
9 I agree that there will always be a small number of corner-cases where
10 an initr* is required. What annoys me, and probably a lot of other
11 people, is the-dog-in-the-manger attitude
12 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_in_the_Manger where some people
13 seem to say "If my weirdo, corner-case system can't boot a separate /usr
14 without an initr* then, by-golly, I'll see to it that *NOBODY* can boot
15 a separate /usr without an initr*".
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications