From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 08:07:59
1 On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 08:39:41PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
3 >
4 >> You are only considering the case of /usr being on a plain hard disk
5 >> partition, what if it in on an LVM volume, or encrypted (or both)
6 >> of mounted over the network? All of these require something to be
7 >> run before they can be mounted, and if that cannot be run until udev
8 >> has started, we have been painted into a corner.
9 >
10 > I agree that there will always be a small number of corner-cases where
11 > an initr* is required. What annoys me, and probably a lot of other
12 > people, is the-dog-in-the-manger attitude
13 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_in_the_Manger where some people
14 > seem to say "If my weirdo, corner-case system can't boot a separate /usr
15 > without an initr* then, by-golly, I'll see to it that *NOBODY* can boot
16 > a separate /usr without an initr*".
17
18 This is misleading in two ways.
19
20 1) You're talking as if having a functionally merged /usr and / system
21 (i.e., many programs needed by the sysad to fix a non-booting system
22 are in /usr, and programs in /usr will break if /usr is not in sync
23 with /) is a weirdo corner case. It is NOT. It is very likely how the
24 vast majority of Linux systems on the planet work. Separate /usr is
25 itself the weirdo corner case. It was in fact a weirdo corner case
26 since day 1.
27 2) You're talking as if Lennart or whoever is breaking into your
28 systems and actively preventing you from customizing it to boot a
29 separate /usr. If this is the case you _really_ need to change your
30 ssh keys, they wiped that vulnerability a couple years ago.
31
32 Nobody's preventing you from building a custom system that cleanly
33 separates / and /usr. But hey, don't pretend that even Gentoo does it
34 correctly. Besides the equery tests in this thread, I've never
35 personally confirmed that any other distro does - and Fedora cleanly
36 admits that they don't.