From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:04:20
1 On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:06:27 +0800
2 Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 08:39:41PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
7 > >
8 > >> You are only considering the case of /usr being on a plain hard
9 > >> disk partition, what if it in on an LVM volume, or encrypted (or
10 > >> both) of mounted over the network? All of these require something
11 > >> to be run before they can be mounted, and if that cannot be run
12 > >> until udev has started, we have been painted into a corner.
13 > >
14 > > I agree that there will always be a small number of corner-cases
15 > > where an initr* is required. What annoys me, and probably a lot of
16 > > other people, is the-dog-in-the-manger attitude
17 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_in_the_Manger where some people
18 > > seem to say "If my weirdo, corner-case system can't boot a
19 > > separate /usr without an initr* then, by-golly, I'll see to it that
20 > > *NOBODY* can boot a separate /usr without an initr*".
21 >
22 > This is misleading in two ways.
23 >
24 > 1) You're talking as if having a functionally merged /usr and / system
25 > (i.e., many programs needed by the sysad to fix a non-booting system
26 > are in /usr, and programs in /usr will break if /usr is not in sync
27 > with /) is a weirdo corner case. It is NOT. It is very likely how the
28 > vast majority of Linux systems on the planet work. Separate /usr is
29 > itself the weirdo corner case. It was in fact a weirdo corner case
30 > since day 1.
31 > 2) You're talking as if Lennart or whoever is breaking into your
32 > systems and actively preventing you from customizing it to boot a
33 > separate /usr. If this is the case you _really_ need to change your
34 > ssh keys, they wiped that vulnerability a couple years ago.
35 >
36 > Nobody's preventing you from building a custom system that cleanly
37 > separates / and /usr. But hey, don't pretend that even Gentoo does it
38 > correctly. Besides the equery tests in this thread, I've never
39 > personally confirmed that any other distro does - and Fedora cleanly
40 > admits that they don't.
43 The ultimate weird corner case is having a separate / and /usr so the
44 either of these two thing can happen:
45
46 a. there's enough $STUFF in / to fix large-scale errors
47 b. there's enough $STUFF in / to mount /usr ro over NFS (as in for a
48 terminal server)
51 a. is fixed by just using what all sysadmins use anyway - a proper
52 rescue disk built for that specific purposes (instead of trying to get
53 half a system to do it for you)
54
55 b. is resolved by mounting /, not /usr. It's a terminal server, so the
56 only thing not under full user control is ~. There is no point in
57 having half the system local and the rest of it remote, just mount
58 everything remotely. And if it's a terminal server, it will have a real
59 sysadmin, someone who can maintain the code needed to get NFS up at
60 boot time. If the mount of / breaks, the solution is a.
61
62 Are there any other cases, apart from emotional attachment based on
63 inertia, where a separate / and /usr are desirable? As I see it, there
64 is only the system, and it is an atomic unit.
67 Alan McKinnon
68 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com