From: Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] os-prober fails sucessfully
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 23:24:16
1 On 3/17/20 4:16 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 03:00:59 -0500, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
3 >
4 >> Also from [1], with emphasis added "30_os-prober this script uses
5 >> **os-prober to search for Linux** and other operating systems and places
6 >> the results in the GRUB 2 menu.
7 >>
8 >> A review of the scripts 10_linux and 30_os-prober supplied by Gentoo
9 >> with the grub and os-prober packages seems to confirm the Ubuntu
10 >> documentation's accuracy.
11 >>
12 >> Regardless of which script is responsible, the problem remains that
13 >> running 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' under the circumstances
14 >> outlined in my original post should find the other Linux operating
15 >> systems, but doesn't.
16 >
17 > You're right, either things have changed since the days I used GRUB
18 > extensively or I am losing it. No, that's not a multiple choice question!
19
20 Well, you wouldn't be the first to begin losing it! I sent the original
21 question before running things through strace, so.... (It wasn't
22 particularly helpful.)
23 >
24 > Have you tried running the script with "sh -x" to see just what it is
25 > doing?
26
27 It calls a helper script and exits successfully.
28
29 I wonder if it could be this part
30 >
31 > if ! command -v os-prober > /dev/null || ! command -v linux-boot-prober >/dev/null ; then
32 > # missing os-prober and/or linux-boot-prober
33 > exit 0
34 > fi
35
36 Running `command -v os-prober' returns '/usr/bin/os-prober'
37 >
38 > If the os-prober command is missing the script will fail successfully, as
39 > you experience. Is sys-boot/os-prober installed?
42 Yes, it is installed as noted above, and, if I mount the partitions
43 manually, os-prober will find them.
46 I'm fairly certain I am missing one open and obvious thing, but can't
47 see it. Here is a list of things I have tried, mainly for
48 thread-completeness purposes:
49
50 1. Removed grub and op-prober packages then wiped all residual config files.
51
52 2. Reinstalled both, enabling the 'mount' use flag on grub.
53
54 3. Confirmed /usr/bin/os-prober and all /etc/grub.d/{scripts} are in
55 place and executable.
56
57 4. Even though it is the default, added GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false to
58 /etc/default/grub.
59
60 5. Even though it is the default, set GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc" in make.conf.
63 On a fairly routine set-up (MBR/BIOS with four ext4 primary partitions)
64 I should be able to just set the mount use flag on grub, install grub
65 and os-prober, run 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' and it should
66 just detect all operating systems and write the config, right? RIGHT?