From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] os-prober fails sucessfully
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 02:01:04
1 On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 19:23:53 -0400,
2 Dutch Ingraham wrote:
3 >
4 > On 3/17/20 4:16 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 03:00:59 -0500, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> Also from [1], with emphasis added "30_os-prober this script uses
8 > >> **os-prober to search for Linux** and other operating systems and places
9 > >> the results in the GRUB 2 menu.
10 > >>
11 > >> A review of the scripts 10_linux and 30_os-prober supplied by Gentoo
12 > >> with the grub and os-prober packages seems to confirm the Ubuntu
13 > >> documentation's accuracy.
14 > >>
15 > >> Regardless of which script is responsible, the problem remains that
16 > >> running 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' under the circumstances
17 > >> outlined in my original post should find the other Linux operating
18 > >> systems, but doesn't.
19 > >
20 > > You're right, either things have changed since the days I used GRUB
21 > > extensively or I am losing it. No, that's not a multiple choice question!
22 >
23 > Well, you wouldn't be the first to begin losing it! I sent the original
24 > question before running things through strace, so.... (It wasn't
25 > particularly helpful.)
26 > >
27 > > Have you tried running the script with "sh -x" to see just what it is
28 > > doing?
29 >
30 > It calls a helper script and exits successfully.
31 >
32 > I wonder if it could be this part
33 > >
34 > > if ! command -v os-prober > /dev/null || ! command -v linux-boot-prober >/dev/null ; then
35 > > # missing os-prober and/or linux-boot-prober
36 > > exit 0
37 > > fi
38 >
39 > Running `command -v os-prober' returns '/usr/bin/os-prober'
40 > >
41 > > If the os-prober command is missing the script will fail successfully, as
42 > > you experience. Is sys-boot/os-prober installed?
45 > Yes, it is installed as noted above, and, if I mount the partitions
46 > manually, os-prober will find them.
49 > I'm fairly certain I am missing one open and obvious thing, but can't
50 > see it. Here is a list of things I have tried, mainly for
51 > thread-completeness purposes:
52 >
53 > 1. Removed grub and op-prober packages then wiped all residual config files.
54 >
55 > 2. Reinstalled both, enabling the 'mount' use flag on grub.
56 >
57 > 3. Confirmed /usr/bin/os-prober and all /etc/grub.d/{scripts} are in
58 > place and executable.
59 >
60 > 4. Even though it is the default, added GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false to
61 > /etc/default/grub.
62 >
63 > 5. Even though it is the default, set GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc" in make.conf.
66 > On a fairly routine set-up (MBR/BIOS with four ext4 primary partitions)
67 > I should be able to just set the mount use flag on grub, install grub
68 > and os-prober, run 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' and it should
69 > just detect all operating systems and write the config, right? RIGHT?
73 Are you sure its supposed to detect them even if they are not mounted?
74 How would they be able to look at the files? Where are the image
75 files on these partitions?
78 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
79 How do
80 you spend it?
81
82 John Covici wb2una