From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to easily find out what USE flags are redundant in make.conf and package.use?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:53:04
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 14:26:27 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> One thing I don't like about having all the separate file in package.*
5 >> is trying to keep up with them. I have several files that are there
6 >> that don't even have anything in them because either
7 >> portages unmask feature or autounmask created them. I sort of wonder
8 >> if it wouldn't be easier for me to go back to a single file. Then I
9 >> can open it with kwrite and if the file has a lot in it, just use the
10 >> find tool. I know, I'm sure there is some command that can do that but
11 >> that's another story. Of course I also have several files that do have
12 >> something in them. Thing is, if I suspect something is in a file and
13 >> want to look, I have to open each file, look to see if it's there and
14 >> if not, repeat with the next one until I find it. Sometimes that is
15 >> like a needle in a haystack.
16 > Either give the files sensible names or use grep :)
17 >
18 > I name the file after the package that requires its settings, so if foo
19 > requires a USE flag on libbar, I put that in foo. That way, if I unmerge
20 > foo, I can delete the file and not leave cruft.
24 I generally use autounmask or portages unmask feature and it gives them
25 names. Thing is, just because is it named something doesn't mean that
26 is what is in it. I had a KDE unmask file that had things that were not
27 KDE but was needed by KDE. It has all sorts of weird things in it.
28
29 Maybe I need to study the find command or something. lol Then again,
30 I'm confused enough already for today. :/
31
32 Dale
33