From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to easily find out what USE flags are redundant in make.conf and package.use?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:35:36
1 On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 14:26:27 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > One thing I don't like about having all the separate file in package.*
4 > is trying to keep up with them. I have several files that are there
5 > that don't even have anything in them because either
6 > portages unmask feature or autounmask created them. I sort of wonder
7 > if it wouldn't be easier for me to go back to a single file. Then I
8 > can open it with kwrite and if the file has a lot in it, just use the
9 > find tool. I know, I'm sure there is some command that can do that but
10 > that's another story. Of course I also have several files that do have
11 > something in them. Thing is, if I suspect something is in a file and
12 > want to look, I have to open each file, look to see if it's there and
13 > if not, repeat with the next one until I find it. Sometimes that is
14 > like a needle in a haystack.
15
16 Either give the files sensible names or use grep :)
17
18 I name the file after the package that requires its settings, so if foo
19 requires a USE flag on libbar, I put that in foo. That way, if I unmerge
20 foo, I can delete the file and not leave cruft.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 If it ain't broke, break it and charge for repair.