From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to easily find out what USE flags are redundant in make.conf and package.use?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:27:33
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 10:53:46 -0400
3 > Michael Mol<mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Alan McKinnon
6 >> <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>> On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 06:36:54 -0500
8 >>> Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >>>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
10 >>>>> On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 05:13:49 -0500
11 >>>>> Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
12 >>> You often mention the attraction of Gentoo is you get only what you
13 >>> want. But, consider this; if you put flags routinely in make.conf
14 >>> you lose most of that benefit. You end up with the equivalent of
15 >>> Mandrake where you complied it yourself, not the binary distro.
16 >>>
17 >>> USE="<every possible flag enabled>" emerge something and
18 >>> yum install something and pretty much equivalent in terms of end
19 >>> result.
20 >> I'm actually very much in Dale's usage pattern here. If there's a
21 >> feature I want, and it's a globally-valid USE flag (such as, say,
22 >> ipv6), I put it in make.conf. If there's a feature I want, and it's
23 >> package-specific, it goes in package.use. If there's a feature I want,
24 >> it's a globally-valid USE flag, but I *don't* want it in a particular
25 >> package (say, X in vim), the enabler goes in make.conf, the disabler
26 >> goes in packages.use; for 90% of packages, I want that support.
27 >>
28 >> So that's not USE=<every possible flag enable>, that's USE=<all the
29 >> global flags I want enabled>.
32 > As with all things in life, USE flags require intelligence, common
33 > sense and familiarity to use to best advantage. Not all global USE
34 > flags are equal or used in the same way!
35 >
36 > USE="ipv6" is mostly global and single-meaning. ipv6 support means
37 > just that - ipv6 support. For a daemon, that would be listen on an
38 > ipv6 interface and talk it back. For config tools, it's " set up
39 > interfaces and routes ipv6 style". It's hard to come up with a meaning
40 > for the flag that's outside that narrow range; it's equally hard to
41 > come up with a reason to use in package.use. Maybe disable it for a
42 > package that supports ipv6 but is known to be broken in it's support.
43 >
44 > USE="perl python" is a very different kettle of fish. While also
45 > global (i.e. used in a similar way by more than x number of ebuilds),
46 > the meaning in use can differ wildly. It can mean to build support
47 > for extra tools written in perl|python, or build language bindings, or
48 > use language bindings and possibly many things. These flags can benefit
49 > from being used in package.use - whereas you probably want ipv6 support
50 > everywhere if used, perl|python isn't used the same way.
51 >
52 > Your post indicates you already know this :-)
53 >
54 > I mentioned it to Dale to illuminate that just because a flag is
55 > *defined* globally doesn't mean you have to *use* it globally. And the
56 > reverse is also true - overlays often have flags used in many ebuilds,
57 > always with the same meaning (e17 is like this), but are not global in
58 > use.desc. My own make.conf has many of these flags.
59 >
60 > Sometimes I wish Gentoo would express these distinctions. Then I think
61 > about what it would take to do that, and shelf the idea :-)
62 >
63 > --
64 > Alan McKinnnon
65 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
69 I saw your point. That's why I said I do make exceptions. For me, I do
70 whatever is easier to keep up with. I actually went back and removed
71 perl and python from make.conf so that it would basically go by the
72 ebuild I guess. When I ran emerge -uvaDN world, it wanted to rebuild
73 actually nothing. I guess I could do -perl and -python to force it to
74 disable but that may cause some other issue that I'm not wanting to deal
75 with. So, I ended up with perl and python removed from make.conf. When
76 the changes you were talking about come along, I'll know it and can see
77 what I need to do to get what I need.
78
79 One thing I don't like about having all the separate file in package.*
80 is trying to keep up with them. I have several files that are there
81 that don't even have anything in them because either portages unmask
82 feature or autounmask created them. I sort of wonder if it wouldn't be
83 easier for me to go back to a single file. Then I can open it with
84 kwrite and if the file has a lot in it, just use the find tool. I know,
85 I'm sure there is some command that can do that but that's another
86 story. Of course I also have several files that do have something in
87 them. Thing is, if I suspect something is in a file and want to look, I
88 have to open each file, look to see if it's there and if not, repeat
89 with the next one until I find it. Sometimes that is like a needle in a
90 haystack.
91
92 One step forward, two steps back. :/
93