From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving my instalation to new hard drive
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:36:01
1 On 24 Dec 2007, at 17:06, Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > ... You will probably need to use
3 > grub-install/setup if you do dd as well, unless you dd if=/dev/sda
4 > of=/dev/sdb (or am I wrong about this?)
5
6 No, you're correct - `dd` would copy the boot-sector.
7
8 But it would also leave all partitions at their original sizes,
9 leaving 80gig of free space at the end of the drive. I'm not sure how
10 one would go about enlarging the /dev/sda2 in order to fill this -
11 I'm sure it's possible, but I can't say I've ever had to do so.
12
13 It might be as simple as completing the `dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb`
14 and then using `fdisk` to delete the last partition, then recreate it
15 with the same start point (and a later end point). The filesystem
16 would then need to be resized. But I don't know if this will work,
17 and it's potentially destructive if you get it wrong (although the
18 original drive is still intact if it doesn't).
19
20 Stroller.
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list