From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving my instalation to new hard drive
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 22:42:38
1 On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:28:37 +0000, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > It might be as simple as completing the `dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb`
4 > and then using `fdisk` to delete the last partition, then recreate it
5 > with the same start point (and a later end point). The filesystem
6 > would then need to be resized. But I don't know if this will work,
7
8 It will, I've done it myself. The main disadvantages are that you can
9 only resize the last partition,and it is very slow (because dd copies
10 every byte of the source drive, not jut the ones in use). Although I have
11 used this method, I wouldn't do it again, I'd set up the partitions,
12 copy with rsync and run grub to install it on the new drive.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 Error reading FAT record: Try the SKINNY one? (Y/N)