From: Rick van Hattem <Rick.van.Hattem@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with logging in as non-root user after installation is finished
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:27:33
1 On Tuesday 28 February 2006 12:13, Anirban Brahmachari wrote:
2 > I finished installing Gentoo Linux 2005.1 after a long 16 hour
3 > struggle on my system ( Pentium III, 256MB ram, 2 x 20GB ATA hard
4 > disks, CDRW drive, optical scroll mouse ).
5 > The first package ( and its dependencies) that I installed from the
6 > Packages CD was gdm.
7 > emerge -k gdm
8 > It installed fine and allowed both root and non-root users to log in.
9 > But gnome and openoffice were not installed yet.
10 > So I emerged x11followed by openoffice-bin.
11 > After that finished, I found that I could not log in as a non root
12 > user from gdm.
13 > I then tried logging in as a non root user at the command line console.
14 > My username is "anirban".
15 > Again, I could not log in and it said that my home directory was not found.
16 > /home/anirban - directory not found
17 > I then logged in as root and tried
18 > su anirban
19 > Again it gave the same message : home directory not found.
20 > But I checked and found the directory /home/anirban existed and its
21 > permissions were rwxr-xr-x and its owership was anirban.
22 >
23 > PLEASE HELP !!
24
25 Are you sure that /home/anirban is the home directory for that user?
26 Check /etc/passwd to be sure :)
30 Rick van Hattem Rick.van.Hattem(at)Fawo.nl