From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching default tmpfiles and faster internet coming my way.
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 06:44:52
1 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 12/3/20 8:40 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I've mentioned I follow -dev to see what is coming around the corner.
6 >> There is a thread on there about switching tmpfiles packages for
7 >> security reasons.  I currently have sys-apps/opentmpfiles installed.  I
8 >> guess that is the default for openrc.  Someone mentioned
9 >> systemd-tmpfiles as a alternative that doesn't have the same security
10 >> problems.
11 >
12 > There's a full explanation here:
13 >
14 >   http://michael.orlitzky.com/cves/cve-2017-18925.xhtml
15 >
16 > I'm a champion systemd hater, but you should switch to
17 > systemd-tmpfiles. There's no downside other than the name.
22 Will opentmpfiles be fixed at some point or is it true that it can't be
23 fixed?  On -dev, I think I read where one person said it can't be
24 fixed.  In that case, switching is likely a good idea since the insecure
25 package can't be fixed.
26
27 At the bottom of one of the links, it had this.
30 Mitigation
31
32 On Linux, the fs.protected_hardlinks sysctl should be enabled:
33
34     root # sysctl --write fs.protected_hardlinks=1
37 So, I first figured out how to see what mine was set at.  Little man
38 page digging later and got this.
41 root@fireball / # sysctl -n fs.protected_hardlinks
42 1
43 root@fireball / #
46 Does that improve things any or does that not really help anything?
47
48 While at it, I tend to do updates/switches in Konsole, while logged into
49 KDE.  Is this deep enough a package it should be done in a console and
50 in the boot runlevel or safe to do like anything else?  I read somewhere
51 that while this works on systemd, I don't think it is maintained by the
52 systemd folks.  Can't recall where I read that tho.
53
54 I still don't quite get what the package does.  I read the links but
55 it's still murky.
56
57 Thanks for the info.  Could be this helps others as well.
58
59 Dale
60