From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 22:49:05
1 On 09/07/2010 12:24 AM, Al wrote:
2 >>> How does a program in Gentoo know, where to look for shared libraries?
3 >>
4 >> The program doesn't know. But the runtime linker does. And those paths are
5 >> in /etc/ld.so.conf. This file gets updated automatically by portage when
6 >> needed.
7 >>
8 >> But... sometimes the program also knows and can link against libraries long
9 >> after it has started up using a dlopen() call:
10 >>
11 >> http://linux.die.net/man/3/dlopen
14 > Thank you Nikos. I did read obout this in the Linux HOWTO:
15 >
16 > http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO.html#DL-LIBRARIES
17 >
18 > But I was woundering if the /etc/ld.so.conf was only historical stuff.
19 > O.K. is not it's up-to-date. Good to know this.
20 >
21 > But it also writes that dlopen() is specific for Linux and Solaris.
22 > There would be alternatives:
23 >
24 > 1.) The glib library
25 > 2.) libltdl, which is part of GNU libtool
26 >
27 > Now I was woundering, which way would Gentoo choose or if that is not
28 > package specific at all. Are you sure dlopen() is used as a general
29 > approach on Gentoo?
30
31 Gentoo doesn't choose anything; it's up to the programs to decide how
32 they want to load libraries at runtime. It's like asking whether Gentoo
33 chooses to use Qt or Gtk to run Firefox; well, since Firefox is a Gtk
34 application and is making calls to Gtk functions, Gentoo doesn't have a
35 say about it.