From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 21:25:16
1 >> How does a program in Gentoo know, where to look for shared libraries?
2 >
3 > The program doesn't know.  But the runtime linker does.  And those paths are
4 > in /etc/ld.so.conf.  This file gets updated automatically by portage when
5 > needed.
6 >
7 > But... sometimes the program also knows and can link against libraries long
8 > after it has started up using a dlopen() call:
9 >
10 > http://linux.die.net/man/3/dlopen
13 Thank you Nikos. I did read obout this in the Linux HOWTO:
14
15 http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO.html#DL-LIBRARIES
16
17 But I was woundering if the /etc/ld.so.conf was only historical stuff.
18 O.K. is not it's up-to-date. Good to know this.
19
20 But it also writes that dlopen() is specific for Linux and Solaris.
21 There would be alternatives:
22
23 1.) The glib library
24 2.) libltdl, which is part of GNU libtool
25
26 Now I was woundering, which way would Gentoo choose or if that is not
27 package specific at all. Are you sure dlopen() is used as a general
28 approach on Gentoo?
29
30 Also I installed a few libries with Prefix Gentoo on Cygwin. On Cygwin
31 there is no /etc/ld.so.conf. Yet the libraries are found somehow. I
32 still have to find out how it works in that environment.
33
34 Al