From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] memory upgrade
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 07:43:26
1 W.Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 01:53 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> W.Kenworthy wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> bunyip ~ # esearch lshw
7 >>> [ Results for search key : lshw ]
8 >>> [ Applications found : 1 ]
9 >>>
10 >>> * sys-apps/lshw
11 >>> Latest version available: 02.11.01b
12 >>> Latest version installed: 02.11.01b
13 >>> Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
14 >>> Homepage: http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter
16 >>> License: GPL-2
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >> I tried that on mine to but didn't post it because it may not help
22 >> much. This is the only thing that I see that may help with the
23 >> frequency of the memory:
24 >>
25 >> *-cpu
27 >> product: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
28 >> vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
29 >> physical id: 4
30 >> bus info: cpu@0
31 >> version: 6.10.0
32 >> slot: Socket A
33 >> size: 1833MHz
34 >> capacity: 3GHz
35 >> width: 32 bits
36 >> *clock: 166MHz*
37 >> capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce
38 >> cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext
39 >> 3dnowext 3dnow ts
42 >> Since it says the clock is 166MHz then the memory should be the same.
43 >> Only thing is, my memory has to be 333MHz not 166Mhz. Basically,
44 >> depending on a few things, that info may not help much unless he has a
45 >> idea what it takes.
46 >>
47 >> My advice, find out the model of the computer if it is factory built or
48 >> the model of the mobo if it is custom built, then go to crucial.com or
49 >> something and look it up that way. Once you get the info, you can look
50 >> it up at whatever site you choose.
51 >>
52 >> Also, if you have windoze on the rig, some memory sites can look it up
53 >> for you too. I'm not sure how they do that tho. I guess they can scan
54 >> something on the mobo. I dunno. No windoze here.
55 >>
56 >> Hope that helps.
57 >>
58 >> Dale
59 >>
60 >> :-) :-) :-)
63 > Thats the cpu - try looking at the existing memory which is what he
64 > wants to know.
65 >
66 > BillK
67 >
68 > *-bank:1
70 > product: PartNum1
71 > vendor: Manufacturer1
72 > physical id: 1
73 > serial: SerNum1
74 > slot: DIMM1
75 > size: 1GB
76 > width: 64 bits
77 > clock: 400MHz (2.5ns)
82 That is not what mine shows tho.
83
84 *-memory
86 physical id: 1b
87 slot: System board or motherboard
88 size: 1GB
89 capacity: 1536MB
90 *-bank:0
92 physical id: 0
93 slot: A0
94 size: 512MB
95 *-bank:1
97 physical id: 1
98 slot: A1
99 *-bank:2
101 physical id: 2
102 slot: A2
103 size: 512MB
106 Nothing about speed there. He may have a newer system than mine that
107 does show it like yours but he may not. One of those 'your mileage may
108 vary' situations.
109
110 Dale
111