From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] memory upgrade
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 07:21:06
1 On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 01:53 -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > W.Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > bunyip ~ # esearch lshw
4 > > [ Results for search key : lshw ]
5 > > [ Applications found : 1 ]
6 > >
7 > > * sys-apps/lshw
8 > > Latest version available: 02.11.01b
9 > > Latest version installed: 02.11.01b
10 > > Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
11 > > Homepage: http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter
13 > > License: GPL-2
18 > I tried that on mine to but didn't post it because it may not help
19 > much. This is the only thing that I see that may help with the
20 > frequency of the memory:
21 >
22 > *-cpu
24 > product: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
25 > vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
26 > physical id: 4
27 > bus info: cpu@0
28 > version: 6.10.0
29 > slot: Socket A
30 > size: 1833MHz
31 > capacity: 3GHz
32 > width: 32 bits
33 > *clock: 166MHz*
34 > capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce
35 > cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext
36 > 3dnowext 3dnow ts
39 > Since it says the clock is 166MHz then the memory should be the same.
40 > Only thing is, my memory has to be 333MHz not 166Mhz. Basically,
41 > depending on a few things, that info may not help much unless he has a
42 > idea what it takes.
43 >
44 > My advice, find out the model of the computer if it is factory built or
45 > the model of the mobo if it is custom built, then go to crucial.com or
46 > something and look it up that way. Once you get the info, you can look
47 > it up at whatever site you choose.
48 >
49 > Also, if you have windoze on the rig, some memory sites can look it up
50 > for you too. I'm not sure how they do that tho. I guess they can scan
51 > something on the mobo. I dunno. No windoze here.
52 >
53 > Hope that helps.
54 >
55 > Dale
56 >
57 > :-) :-) :-)
58
59 Thats the cpu - try looking at the existing memory which is what he
60 wants to know.
61
62 BillK
63