From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] memory upgrade
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 06:53:39
1 W.Kenworthy wrote:
2 > bunyip ~ # esearch lshw
3 > [ Results for search key : lshw ]
4 > [ Applications found : 1 ]
5 >
6 > * sys-apps/lshw
7 > Latest version available: 02.11.01b
8 > Latest version installed: 02.11.01b
9 > Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
10 > Homepage: http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter
12 > License: GPL-2
17 I tried that on mine to but didn't post it because it may not help
18 much. This is the only thing that I see that may help with the
19 frequency of the memory:
20
21 *-cpu
23 product: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
24 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
25 physical id: 4
26 bus info: cpu@0
27 version: 6.10.0
28 slot: Socket A
29 size: 1833MHz
30 capacity: 3GHz
31 width: 32 bits
32 *clock: 166MHz*
33 capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce
34 cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext
35 3dnowext 3dnow ts
38 Since it says the clock is 166MHz then the memory should be the same.
39 Only thing is, my memory has to be 333MHz not 166Mhz. Basically,
40 depending on a few things, that info may not help much unless he has a
41 idea what it takes.
42
43 My advice, find out the model of the computer if it is factory built or
44 the model of the mobo if it is custom built, then go to crucial.com or
45 something and look it up that way. Once you get the info, you can look
46 it up at whatever site you choose.
47
48 Also, if you have windoze on the rig, some memory sites can look it up
49 for you too. I'm not sure how they do that tho. I guess they can scan
50 something on the mobo. I dunno. No windoze here.
51
52 Hope that helps.
53
54 Dale