From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Migrate from rsync to git for emerge --sync?
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 13:31:19
1 On 2021-10-13, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 9:22 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 2021-10-13, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >> >
6 >> > Profile selection is implemented as a symlink from
7 >> > /etc/portage/make.profile. If you move your repository, then you need
8 >> > to re-select the profile since the symlink will be broken.
9 >>
10 >> Indeed. And the failure that produces is not at all graceful.
11 >>
12 >> I spent a little time trying to figure out where in the Wiki or docs
13 >> that the rsync -> git migration steps should be documented, but I
14 >> didn't find anyplace that looked like the right home for that info.
17 > Moving from rsync to git probably doesn't require re-selecting the
18 > profile. However, if you move the path of the repository itself then
19 > that would require re-selecting the profile regardless of whether the
20 > method of syncing is changed.
21 >
22 > I got the impression from your email that you moved the repository
23 > when you switched.
24
25 Yes. I was in the old location /usr/portage, and I moved it to the new
26 /var/db location. That's what broke the profile selection.
27
28 > If you ONLY renamed the old one but kept the same exact path, then
29 > after it pulled the new repo the profile should have remained
30 > working as far as I am aware.
31
32 I think that's correct.
33
34 > If I'm understanding the situation, then the correct place to put
35 > this in the wiki is in any section pertaining to moving the
36 > repository (such as to /var/db or whatever). It wouldn't hurt to
37 > make a note in any instructions for switching to git to be aware of
38 > the requirement if the opportunity is taken to move the repository
39 > at the same time. It is a pretty logical time to do this.
40
41 That's certainly what I thought. :)
42
43 > The error messages may very well have been misleading though.
44 > Portage is a bit infamous for misleading error messages.
45
46 There wasn't an error message at all. Just a Python stack trace becaus
47 of an exception thrown because None doesn't have a startswith method.
50 Grant