From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Migrate from rsync to git for emerge --sync?
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 01:36:12
1 On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 9:22 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2021-10-13, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Profile selection is implemented as a symlink from
6 > > /etc/portage/make.profile. If you move your repository, then you need
7 > > to re-select the profile since the symlink will be broken.
8 >
9 > Indeed. And the failure that produces is not at all graceful.
10 >
11 > I spent a little time trying to figure out where in the Wiki or docs
12 > that the rsync -> git migration steps should be documented, but I
13 > didn't find anyplace that looked like the right home for that info.
16 Moving from rsync to git probably doesn't require re-selecting the
17 profile. However, if you move the path of the repository itself then
18 that would require re-selecting the profile regardless of whether the
19 method of syncing is changed.
20
21 I got the impression from your email that you moved the repository
22 when you switched. If you ONLY renamed the old one but kept the same
23 exact path, then after it pulled the new repo the profile should have
24 remained working as far as I am aware. If I'm understanding the
25 situation, then the correct place to put this in the wiki is in any
26 section pertaining to moving the repository (such as to /var/db or
27 whatever). It wouldn't hurt to make a note in any instructions for
28 switching to git to be aware of the requirement if the opportunity is
29 taken to move the repository at the same time. It is a pretty logical
30 time to do this.
31
32 The error messages may very well have been misleading though. Portage
33 is a bit infamous for misleading error messages.
36 Rich