From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 02:17:58
1 On Friday 19 November 2010 22:13:50 Mick wrote:
2
3 > Short of measuring the latency with some system (which I wouldn't
4 > know how) I have experimented with setting the /boot partition on
5 > primary and logical partitions and the difference (on a stopwatch)
6 > was measurable in seconds betweeen having said partition on a
7 > primary and having it on a logical. Furthermore, sda7 was slower
8 > than sda5.
9 >
10 > I haven't measured latencies for first mount and subsequent look ups.
11 > I thought that it would be the same every time a partition fs is
12 > being accessed, no?
13
14 I shouldn't design it that way. Would you?
15
16 Consider the layout of the disk. First we have the master boot record,
17 which contains the disk addresses of the four allowable primary
18 partitions*, and not much else besides the primitive boot code to fetch
19 the data from those addresses. Then each primary partition has the
20 address of its first directory containing data. Those five parameters are
21 assumed to be fixed and can be held in a small lookup table in the OS.
22
23 One primary partition may be declared as an "extended" partition, by the
24 setting of a single bit in its entry in the MBR**. That partition has to
25 have the same header layout as the others, in particular not allowing
26 more than one data address***. In this case it's the address not of the
27 first directory but of the first logical partition - and that partition
28 has to have the same header layout again, because it's just a partition
29 full of data, isn't it?
30
31 The answer to your question is that only very few values are needed to
32 specify the fixed start points of all the partitions on the disk, and
33 virtually no overhead is involved in storing them for the inevitably
34 frequent use they're going to get.
35
36 (Sorry if I'm rambling. I've been down with the dreaded lurgy for a day
37 or two, and after a small glass of wine this evening I'm having trouble
38 focusing on the screen, never mind my thoughts.)
39
40 * One partition is plenty for all normal folk, especially those who run
41 an OS that's convinced it's the only entity in the universe - who could
42 possibly want more than four? And just don't mention 640KB memory unless
43 you're prepared for fisticuffs.
44
45 ** Talk about a single point of failure!
46
47 *** Well, of course it doesn't, but what would we do without hindsight?
50 Rgds
51 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.