From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am a "f*****g retard". Can you help me?
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:08:32
1 On Thursday 18 September 2008 03:24:47 b.n. wrote:
2 > > The only case I can think of where _really_ problems might arise is the
3 > > (very rare) situation which I had described: That the ./configure script
4 > > of X builds X without errors but also without support for Y if only 1.2.2
5 > > of Y is installed:
6 > > Then neither later upgrading of Y nor revdep-rebuild will show anything
7 > > suspicious, although X does not behave in the intended way.
8 >
9 > Very clear, thanks.
10 > This is, technically, a bug in the ./configure ,however, isn't it?
11
12 That's my thinking too. The correct action would be to patch the ./configure
13 and submit the patches upstream so everyone benefits. But it's not always so
14 easy.
15
16 For example, I build e17 from svn and keep my own custom overlay for it. Most
17 packages have --enable- options but some features are automagically detected
18 at configure time, which leads to the exact problem described above, and it
19 has happened to me. So it's not a theoretical possibility but a real (albeit
20 rare) one.
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com