From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Got myself in a bind unmerging portage
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:29:19
1 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > What are my choices here... is the only one to use the livecd and
3 > emerge portage from there? Or is there such a thing as a sources
4 > package of portage arranged for a stand alone compile job.
5
6 Portage is written in Python, so no compiling is necessary. It kind of
7 makes me chuckle a bit that emerge -vC portage doesn't at least warn you
8 that this will make a mess of your system (Are you sure?) Hmm, perhaps
9 you need to perform the part of the install stage where you install
10 portage again. I'm not sure what effects this will have with your
11 already installed packages though. Probably first thing you should do
12 is backup your system just in case any further damage occurs. Of
13 course, a fresh install in an option, but that would be a pain...
14 Anyone else want to chime in on how well it would work to just install
15 portage as per the install guide on a system that already has packages
16 on it? Would the new version of portage still be aware of the current
17 world, or would that wipe the world file/other currently installed
18 package data?
21 Randy Barlow
22 http://electronsweatshop.com
23 --