From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: RFC : fast copying of a whole directory tree
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:33:24
1 On 2012-02-13, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/13/12 05:49, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I've written a small Python program which outputs the file names in
5 >> i-node order. If this is fed into tar or cpio nearly no seeks are
6 >> required during copying.
7 >
8 > What makes you think the inodes are sequential on-disk?
9
10 Even if the i-nodes are sequential on-disk, there's no reason to think
11 that the data blocks associated with the inodes are in any particular
12 order with respect to the i-nodes themselves.
13
14 >> But it's correctness for backing up data is critical.
15 >> Therefore I'd like to ask for comments.
16 >
17 > You're nuts =)
18 >
19 > Seriously though, use cp, tar, or rsync. They've seen years of use by
20 > millions of people. All of the remaining bugs are sufficiently
21 > insidious that you'll never hit them. The same probably isn't true
22 > for your script!
25 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! All this time I've
26 at been VIEWING a RUSSIAN
27 gmail.com MIDGET SODOMIZE a HOUSECAT!