From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RFC : fast copying of a whole directory tree
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:19:07
1 On 02/13/12 05:49, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 >
3 > I've written a small Python program which outputs the file names in
4 > i-node order. If this is fed into tar or cpio nearly no seeks are
5 > required during copying.
6
7 What makes you think the inodes are sequential on-disk?
10 > But it's correctness for backing up data is critical.
11 > Therefore I'd like to ask for comments.
12
13 You're nuts =)
14
15 Seriously though, use cp, tar, or rsync. They've seen years of use by
16 millions of people. All of the remaining bugs are sufficiently insidious
17 that you'll never hit them. The same probably isn't true for your script!