From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: wlan0 promiscuous mode
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:45:31
1 >> >> > Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
2 >> >> > promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
3 >> >> > on my network in wireshark?
4 >> >>
5 >> >> ifconfig eth1 promisc
6 >> >>
7 >> >> But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
8 >> >> automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.
9 >> >>
10 >> >>
11 >> >
12 >> > Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
13 >> >
14 >> > airmon-ng start wlan0
15 >>
16 >> I can't get that to work. I get:
17 >>
18 >> # airmon-ng start wlan0
19 >> Interface Chipset Driver
20 >> wlan3 ath5k_pci - [phy0]
21 >> wlan0 Ralink 2573 USB rt73usb - [phy1]/usr/sbin/airmon-ng: line 338:
22 >> /sys/class/ieee80211/phy1/add_iface: No such file or directory
23 >> mon0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
24 >> (monitor mode enabled on mon0)
25 >>
26 >> It looks like I'm supposed to have /sys/class/ieee80211/phy1/add_iface
27 >> which isn't there. I've tried with net.wlan0 started and stopped.
28 >>
29 >> - Grant
30 >
31 > Your driver has to support monitor-mode.
32 > I am using an Atheros-based internal WiFi-card and an Alpha-USB-WiFi-device
33 > with Realtek-Chip. The drivers I used a while ago needed a patch to work with
34 > monitor-mode, but the recent drivers don't. Take a look at the driver-section
35 > on the aircrack-ng homepage. Maybe your driver needs to be patched.
36
37 After updating to ~amd64 aircrack-ng, it's working like this:
38
39 # airmon-ng start wlan0
40 # airodump-ng wlan0
41
42 Injection is also reported to work. The only problem is I don't get
43 any results from airodump-ng unless net.wlan0 is started. 'ifconfig
44 wlan0 up' doesn't seem to help. Can I monitor without associating
45 net.wlan0?
46
47 - Grant