From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: wlan0 promiscuous mode
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:29:02
1 On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> >> > Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
3 >>> >> > promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
4 >>> >> > on my network in wireshark?
5 >>> >>
6 >>> >> ifconfig eth1 promisc
7 >>> >>
8 >>> >> But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
9 >>> >> automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.
10 >>> >>
11 >>> >>
12 >>> >
13 >>> > Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
14 >>> >
15 >>> > airmon-ng start wlan0
16 >>>
17 >>> I can't get that to work. I get:
18 >>>
19 >>> # airmon-ng start wlan0
20 >>> Interface Chipset Driver
21 >>> wlan3 ath5k_pci - [phy0]
22 >>> wlan0 Ralink 2573 USB rt73usb - [phy1]/usr/sbin/airmon-ng: line 338:
23 >>> /sys/class/ieee80211/phy1/add_iface: No such file or directory
24 >>> mon0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
25 >>> (monitor mode enabled on mon0)
26 >>>
27 >>> It looks like I'm supposed to have /sys/class/ieee80211/phy1/add_iface
28 >>> which isn't there. I've tried with net.wlan0 started and stopped.
29 >>>
30 >>> - Grant
31 >>
32 >> Your driver has to support monitor-mode.
33 >> I am using an Atheros-based internal WiFi-card and an Alpha-USB-WiFi-device
34 >> with Realtek-Chip. The drivers I used a while ago needed a patch to work with
35 >> monitor-mode, but the recent drivers don't. Take a look at the driver-section
36 >> on the aircrack-ng homepage. Maybe your driver needs to be patched.
37 >
38 > After updating to ~amd64 aircrack-ng, it's working like this:
39 >
40 > # airmon-ng start wlan0
41 > # airodump-ng wlan0
42 >
43 > Injection is also reported to work. The only problem is I don't get
44 > any results from airodump-ng unless net.wlan0 is started. 'ifconfig
45 > wlan0 up' doesn't seem to help. Can I monitor without associating
46 > net.wlan0?
47
48 I use madwifi-ng not ath5k, so I'm not sure if the process is the same...
49
50 Basically the way it works for me is I have wlan0 and ath0, and I have
51 to destroy ath0 to be able to re-do wlan0 in the proper mode. The
52 usual programs (kismet, aircrack) can usually set it up themselves,
53 but you have to destroy it first. In my case I use this command:
54
55 wlanconfig ath0 destroy
56
57 and then i can manually set it up for monitor mode like:
58
59 wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
60
61 Or if I want to run kismet, I destroy ath0, and in the kismet.conf i
62 set up the source like:
63
64 source=madwifi_g,wifi0,blah
65
66 and kismet does its thing. After quitting kismet, I have to destroy
67 ath0 again if I want to use a different program (or configure it
68 manually again). Similarly, if I want to run airmon-ng I just destroy
69 the ath0 and airmon-ng sets it up on its own. I guess airsnort might
70 work the same way, though I've never tried it.
71
72 Good luck :)