From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: wlan0 promiscuous mode
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 22:05:59
1 >>>> >> > Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
2 >>>> >> > promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
3 >>>> >> > on my network in wireshark?
4 >>>> >>
5 >>>> >> ifconfig eth1 promisc
6 >>>> >>
7 >>>> >> But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
8 >>>> >> automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.
9 >>>> >>
10 >>>> >>
11 >>>> >
12 >>>> > Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
13 >>>> >
14 >>>> > airmon-ng start wlan0
15 >>>>
16 >>>> I can't get that to work. I get:
17 >>>>
18 >>>> # airmon-ng start wlan0
19 >>>> Interface Chipset Driver
20 >>>> wlan3 ath5k_pci - [phy0]
21 >>>> wlan0 Ralink 2573 USB rt73usb - [phy1]/usr/sbin/airmon-ng: line 338:
22 >>>> /sys/class/ieee80211/phy1/add_iface: No such file or directory
23 >>>> mon0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
24 >>>> (monitor mode enabled on mon0)
25 >>>>
26 >>>> It looks like I'm supposed to have /sys/class/ieee80211/phy1/add_iface
27 >>>> which isn't there. I've tried with net.wlan0 started and stopped.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> - Grant
30 >>>
31 >>> Your driver has to support monitor-mode.
32 >>> I am using an Atheros-based internal WiFi-card and an Alpha-USB-WiFi-device
33 >>> with Realtek-Chip. The drivers I used a while ago needed a patch to work with
34 >>> monitor-mode, but the recent drivers don't. Take a look at the driver-section
35 >>> on the aircrack-ng homepage. Maybe your driver needs to be patched.
36 >>
37 >> After updating to ~amd64 aircrack-ng, it's working like this:
38 >>
39 >> # airmon-ng start wlan0
40 >> # airodump-ng wlan0
41 >>
42 >> Injection is also reported to work. The only problem is I don't get
43 >> any results from airodump-ng unless net.wlan0 is started. 'ifconfig
44 >> wlan0 up' doesn't seem to help. Can I monitor without associating
45 >> net.wlan0?
46 >
47 > I use madwifi-ng not ath5k, so I'm not sure if the process is the same...
48 >
49 > Basically the way it works for me is I have wlan0 and ath0, and I have
50 > to destroy ath0 to be able to re-do wlan0 in the proper mode. The
51 > usual programs (kismet, aircrack) can usually set it up themselves,
52 > but you have to destroy it first. In my case I use this command:
53 >
54 > wlanconfig ath0 destroy
55 >
56 > and then i can manually set it up for monitor mode like:
57 >
58 > wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
59
60 Do you know if there is an equivalent destroy command for ifconfig or
61 iwconfig since wlanconfig is a madwifi tool? 'ifconfig wlan0 destroy'
62 doesn't work and I tried 'ifconfig wlan0 down'. 'airmon-ng start
63 wlan0' does put wlan0 into monitor mode (as verified by 'ifconfig')
64 but I don't get any airodump-ng results unless net.wlan0 is started.
65
66 - Grant
69 > Or if I want to run kismet, I destroy ath0, and in the kismet.conf i
70 > set up the source like:
71 >
72 > source=madwifi_g,wifi0,blah
73 >
74 > and kismet does its thing. After quitting kismet, I have to destroy
75 > ath0 again if I want to use a different program (or configure it
76 > manually again). Similarly, if I want to run airmon-ng I just destroy
77 > the ath0 and airmon-ng sets it up on its own. I guess airsnort might
78 > work the same way, though I've never tried it.
79 >
80 > Good luck :)