From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Curiosity...
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:09:13
1 On Saturday 29 January 2011 15:18:10 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > when listing my hardware with lshw I find some stuff build
5 > into my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, which I seem not to use
6 > and I like to know, for what it is good for:
7 >
8 > These are excerpts from the output of lshw:
11 > *-serial UNCLAIMED
13 > product: SBx00 SMBus Controller
14 > vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
15 > physical id: 14
16 > bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0
17 > version: 41
18 > width: 32 bits
19 > clock: 66MHz
20 > configuration: latency=0
23 sensors, and spd-eprom are accessed this way.
26 > and
30 > *-isa
32 > product: SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
33 > vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
34 > physical id: 14.3
35 > bus info: pci@0000:00:14.3
36 > version: 40
37 > width: 32 bits
38 > clock: 66MHz
39 > capabilities: isa bus_master
40 > configuration: latency=0
41
42 today's incarnation is called 'lpc'. Your sensor chip is probably accessed
43 through this. Also connectiopn sensor/superio-chipset.
46 > and
49 > *-multimedia
51 > product: GF108 High Definition Audio Controller
52 > vendor: nVidia Corporation
53 > physical id: 0.1
54 > bus info: pci@0000:08:00.1
55 > version: a1
56 > width: 32 bits
57 > clock: 33MHz
58 > capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
59 > configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
60 > resources: irq:25 memory:fe97c000-fe97ffff
61 >
62 > (I have a MSI GT430 (nvidia) card and onboard audio:
63 >
64 > *-multimedia
66 > product: SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
67 > vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
68 > physical id: 14.2
69 > bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2
70 > version: 40
71 > width: 64 bits
72 > clock: 33MHz
73 > capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
74 > configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=64
75 > resources: irq:16 memory:fcaf8000-fcafbfff
76 > ).
80 > lspci -k of those device/chips/whatever does say for the nvidia audio:
81 >
82 > 08:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio
83 > Controller (rev a1) Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device
85 > Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
86 > Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
87 >
88 > but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
89 > Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster... ;)
92 hdmi.
93 Because hdmi is able to transport sound. Also look up the DRM mess.
94
95 > for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For
96 > what reason there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy
97 > controller and IDE???
98
99 yes.
102 > How can I make what use of it?