From: "Iván Pérez Domínguez" <ivanperezdominguez@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Telling emerge to continue when something goes wrong
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:27:11
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Iván Pérez Domínguez writes:
3 >
4 >> After installing Gentoo in different machines several times, I wonder if
5 >> is there any way to tell emerge to keep installing as much as possible
6 >> even when something goes wrong.
7 >
8 > Sure there is. Have a look at the emerge man page, there 's lots uf useful
9 > information. portage also has a nice man page.
10
11 I just read both (and make.conf as well). Maybe I missed something, but
12 I think that suggestion has not been implemented so far.
16 >> emerge stuff1 stuff2 stuff3
17 >>
18 >> emerge says "the following packages will be emerged" and so on.
19 >>
20 >> Alright. Then stuff1 fails to compile. I'd like emerge to continue
21 >> trying to install stuff2 and stuff3 when possible.
22 >
23 > emerge --resume --skipfirst
24 > This resumes the last emerge, skipping the first package. Leave
25 > the --skipfirst to try again.
26
27 This one I already knew.
28
29 > I like to use "FEATURES=keepwork
30 > emerge --resume" to resume an interrupted emerge without restarting from
31 > scratch, but this feature seems to be broken at the moment.
32 >
33 >> I know I could write several emerges in different lines (something like
34 >> emerge stuff1; emerge stuff2; emerge stuff3), I just feel like this
35 >> feature should have an option of its own in emerge (i.e.
36 >> --keep-going-as-far-as-possible).
37 >
38 > Maybe, but on the other hand it's a little bash one-liner.
39
40 I don't get your point here, sorry.
43 >> This could be very handy when updating world or, in general, when the
44 >> emerge is going to take a lot of time and you decide to leave, expecting
45 >> everything to be merged when you come back.
46 >
47 > This will emerge world and continue after every error, skipping that
48 > package:
49 > emerge world -u || while ! emerge --resume --skipfirst; do :; done
50 >
51 > Alex
54 As I said before, the line above (emerge a; emerge b; emerge c;) could
55 work as well. The main point is that, in my opinion, that feature should
56 be included in emerge itself.
57
58 Your line has a problem: it won't skip the first package in your line,
59 it will skip only the first package to be emerged, which may be a
60 required dependency to build another package, propagating an error in
61 one compilation to later compilations. Even worse, some package could
62 get installed without one of its dependencies.
63
64 Ivan.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature