From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Telling emerge to continue when something goes wrong
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:40:27
1 Iván Pérez Domínguez writes:
2
3 > After installing Gentoo in different machines several times, I wonder if
4 > is there any way to tell emerge to keep installing as much as possible
5 > even when something goes wrong.
6
7 Sure there is. Have a look at the emerge man page, there 's lots uf useful
8 information. portage also has a nice man page.
11 > emerge stuff1 stuff2 stuff3
12 >
13 > emerge says "the following packages will be emerged" and so on.
14 >
15 > Alright. Then stuff1 fails to compile. I'd like emerge to continue
16 > trying to install stuff2 and stuff3 when possible.
17
18 emerge --resume --skipfirst
19 This resumes the last emerge, skipping the first package. Leave
20 the --skipfirst to try again. I like to use "FEATURES=keepwork
21 emerge --resume" to resume an interrupted emerge without restarting from
22 scratch, but this feature seems to be broken at the moment.
23
24 > I know I could write several emerges in different lines (something like
25 > emerge stuff1; emerge stuff2; emerge stuff3), I just feel like this
26 > feature should have an option of its own in emerge (i.e.
27 > --keep-going-as-far-as-possible).
28
29 Maybe, but on the other hand it's a little bash one-liner.
30
31 > This could be very handy when updating world or, in general, when the
32 > emerge is going to take a lot of time and you decide to leave, expecting
33 > everything to be merged when you come back.
34
35 This will emerge world and continue after every error, skipping that
36 package:
37 emerge world -u || while ! emerge --resume --skipfirst; do :; done
38
39 Alex
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list