From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Telling emerge to continue when something goes wrong
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 00:55:33
1 On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 21:34 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Iván Pérez Domínguez writes:
3 >
4 > > After installing Gentoo in different machines several times, I wonder if
5 > > is there any way to tell emerge to keep installing as much as possible
6 > > even when something goes wrong.
7 >
8 > Sure there is. Have a look at the emerge man page, there 's lots uf useful
9 > information. portage also has a nice man page.
10
11 > emerge --resume --skipfirst
12
13 --skipfirst requires manual intervention after emerge has failed. I
14 think the OP is asking for something that just continues without
15 intervention.
16
17 You would, of course want this command to be nice to dependencies,
18 otherwise you'll break something. I've often wondered about such a
19 feature during emerge world. Especially when it breaks in the first few
20 packages. In a case like this (indent showing dependencies):
21
22 pkg-a
23 pkg-b
24 pkg-c
25 pkg-d
26
27 emerge would build in the order pkg-b pkg-a pkg-d pkg-c. If emerge
28 fails during pkg-b, whats to stop it continuing at pkg-d and then pkg-c?
29
30 cya,
34 Never trust anyone who says money is no object.
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list