From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] make -j <n> for kernel builds?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 21:57:56
1 On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 13:37:50 -0400,
2 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [16-10-31 18:36]:
5 > > Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
6 > > > Hi,
7 > > >
8 > > > from ancient times ;) I remember, that it is not advisable
9 > > > to compile a linux kernel with more than one cpu core.
10 > > >
11 > > > Is that still true, or is it save to compile it with
12 > > > "all you can eat" ::)) ?
13 > > >
14 > > > Cheers
15 > > > Meino
16 > > >
17 > > >
18 > >
19 > > While I don't upgrade my kernel very often, since I don't reboot often
20 > > either, I've used -j 6 for my 4 core CPU for a long time. I'm pretty
21 > > sure I've done that ever since I built this rig. So far, no problems
22 > > that I have seen.
23 > >
24 > > Dale
25 > >
26 > > :-) :-)
29 > Great! Currently rebuilding the kernel with '-j7 ' :)
30
31 I wonder, how does it make sure that a dependency is always compiled
32 before what depends on it, so the link and all that works?
35 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
36 How do
37 you spend it?
38
39 John Covici