From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} app to create DVD image?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:03:28
1 On 27 Oct 2009, at 10:16, KH wrote:
2
3 > Grant schrieb:
4 >>>> Does anyone know of an app that will create a DVD image that can be
5 >>>> burned to a DVD for playback on a regular home DVD player?
6 > ...
7 > if you want to have an iso of an dvd you can use dd to do so. For a
8 > reason I don't understand you will have to run mplayer first for a
9 > second or so.
10 > (For me this works fine as long as the sources isn't bigger than
11 > 4,7GB)
12
13 I think you can only "properly" use `dd` if the DVD is region 0.
14 Are you sure that mplayer is needed in that case?
15
16 If the DVD is regionalised, then running mplayer will allow you to
17 clone it to hard-drive, but I don't think that image will then be
18 burnable. At least, not to play on a regular household DVD player -
19 the image will still carry some CSS encryption.
20
21 I use this method regularly to clone DVDs to hard-drive for ripping to
22 MP4. But during that ripping process mencoder does some decryption
23 transparently.
24
25 This is discussed in August's long thread "Cloning movie DVDs with dd
26 - only works after accessing disk with another command?".
27
28 Stroller.