From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} RAM & apache MaxClients (rock & a hard place)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 02:18:29
1 On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:55 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 08/03/2013 00:08, Grant wrote:
3 >>>>>> Changing completely from a user-facing apache to a user-facing nginx
4 >>>>>> sounds fraught with peril.
5 >>>
6 >>> The last time I set this up was for one of our e-commerce sites on Centos.
7 >>>
8 >>> It went like this:
9 >>>
10 >>> install nginx
11 >>> vi config file
12 >>> change obvious stuff
13 >>> tweak location of nginx and backend web server
14 >>> restart stuff
15 >>> stuff worked
16 >>>
17 >>> Even the SSL certs was mind-bogglingly easy. Copy it over to nginx.
18 >>> Sorted. Done.
19 >>>
20 >>> Lucky for me, I could firewall off the backend web server from the
21 >>> entire world so users never see it directly. This let me dispense with a
22 >>> CE signed cert for the backend and just create my own.
23 >>
24 >> So you're saying nginx listens on 80/443 and apache listens on
25 >> 1000/1001 (for example) and you firewalled 1000/1001 from all but
26 >> localhost?
27 >>
28 >> Can I use the same SSL certs with nginx that I've been using with apache?
31 > Yes, that's exactly correct.
35 >> - Grant
36 >>
37 >> P.S. Thanks for the shot of courage.
41 > --
42 > Alan McKinnon
43 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
47 Unless you have a special reason to use Apache, Nginx plays well with
48 most modern webapps.
49 And it has a module for uwsgi which is an amazing protocol. The uwsgi
50 process manager can run pretty much every bloody app (incl PHP!).
51
52 I have been using nginx exclusively on all my servers and I've been
53 running PHP, Python and Ruby apps without any glitch. But I prefer
54 PHP's original FPM to uwsgi.
57 Nilesh Govindrajan
58 http://nileshgr.com