From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} RAM & apache MaxClients (rock & a hard place)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 22:27:49
1 On 08/03/2013 00:08, Grant wrote:
2 >>>>> Changing completely from a user-facing apache to a user-facing nginx
3 >>>>> sounds fraught with peril.
4 >>
5 >> The last time I set this up was for one of our e-commerce sites on Centos.
6 >>
7 >> It went like this:
8 >>
9 >> install nginx
10 >> vi config file
11 >> change obvious stuff
12 >> tweak location of nginx and backend web server
13 >> restart stuff
14 >> stuff worked
15 >>
16 >> Even the SSL certs was mind-bogglingly easy. Copy it over to nginx.
17 >> Sorted. Done.
18 >>
19 >> Lucky for me, I could firewall off the backend web server from the
20 >> entire world so users never see it directly. This let me dispense with a
21 >> CE signed cert for the backend and just create my own.
22 >
23 > So you're saying nginx listens on 80/443 and apache listens on
24 > 1000/1001 (for example) and you firewalled 1000/1001 from all but
25 > localhost?
26 >
27 > Can I use the same SSL certs with nginx that I've been using with apache?
30 Yes, that's exactly correct.
34 > - Grant
35 >
36 > P.S. Thanks for the shot of courage.
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com