From: Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rfcomm0 interface missing
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 11:45:19
1 On Monday 18 November 2013, Mick wrote:
2 > After more than a year I tried to tether my mobile to my laptop to connect
3 > to GPRS using kppp. I noticed that kppp hangs and I have to kill it,
4 > while it hangs with "Modem Ready". I can query the modem successfully
5 > using kppp, and it responds to ATI initialisation commands, so now I am
6 > trying to understand what is wrong with it and why the connection does not
7 > complete.
8 >
9 > ifconfig -a does not show rfcomm0, but this may be because it never
10 > completes the connection to my mobile phone provider's network, so the ppp
11 > link is not established.
12 >
13 > I can see that the rfcomm device is being created:
14 >
15 > # ls -la /dev/rfcomm*
16 > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 216, 0 Nov 17 15:51 /dev/rfcomm0
17 >
18 > and it does try to connect until it freezes showing "Modem Ready", but I am
19 > getting no more errors to know what to do next.
20 >
21 > I was thinking that this may be related to the udev NIC renaming change
22 > that happened within the last year. However, I never had any udev rules
23 > to manage rfcomm and from what I recall vaguely when the udev update came,
24 > I had no problem connecting (but memory may be failing me after all this
25 > time). It could of course be related to my mobile phone providers
26 > settings - I haven't changed these for a long time and looking on the
27 > Internet I can't find if they are any different now.
28 >
29 > How should I troubleshoot this further?
30 >
31 > Could someone please hold my hand to set up ppp so that I can avoid kppp
32 > and its freezing behaviour?
33
34 Have you started the rfcomm service? I remember having trouble until I did
35 that.
36
37 HTH
38 Robin
42 Robin Atwood.
43
44 "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
45 Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
46 from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling